On January 17, 2015, I started a Blog Series in honor of Black History Month called Black History Fun Fact Friday. The series was supposed to run from January 2015 through the end of February 2015, but two badges and 66 weeks of posts later we are still going strong. 2017 and 2018 have been our best years to date with the most posts and the most interesting topics.
But I don’t have that kind of time anymore and no man is an Island.
Black History Fun Fact Friday is not just a Black History Month segment anymore. It has carved out its own space in the internet’s land.
I want to get back to publishing Black History articles to this blog every Friday, and would love to have some help.
As we prepare for 2020, I am reaching out to Black writers interested in helping to contribute to this series.
- Because of the nature of this series interested writers must be Black/African American (this includes so-called Afro Cuban, Jamaican, Hatian, Cuban, Afro Brazilian, Dominican etc.).
- Must be original work. Do not copy and paste the article from other blogs unless that blog is your own. If you have a Black History article to share that you published to your own site you are welcomed to submit it for Black History Fun Facts. I have no problem with that as long as it is your own work.
- Topics must be relatable to the history of Blacks/African Americans.
- Articles must be emailed to me for approval at least one week before publishing. If you email your article on 1/31 for example, I will publish it on 2/7 if there are no needed changes. This series is not exclusive to Black History Month but if you want your articles published in time for February, please have them submitted no later than Monday, January 27, 2020. Writers looking for more exposure will be wise to try for a Feb slot. A Black History Article during Black History Month will naturally attract more readers.
- Please send articles in a Word Document, 12p Font, Times New Roman text.
- Please do your best to self-edit your work for basic typos/spelling/grammatical errors before submission. Grammarly and ProWritingAid are good free self-edit software programs to use.
- The BHFFF badge will be included in every post but you are welcomed to create your own image to add as well. Canva is a good program to use to make your own images. Unsplash is good for free images.
- This is Black History Fun Fact Friday not Black History Opinions so do your best to submit articles covering accurate historical information. I will vet the submissions to make sure they do. If you have links to sources, please include them.
- Please include a photo of yourself, social media handles, website, or links to books you’ve written on the topic. This will be added to the end of the post as your call to action. This is where you give readers the chance to follow/learn more about you.
Benefits of Guest Blogging:
- Increase traffic to your own website/blog
- Build Relationships/Online Influence
- Build Domain and Search Engine Authority
- Capture Wider Audience
- Develop Your Authority on a topic
- Improve Your Writing
- Opens the doors for paid business opportunities
The series is Black Historical so submissions should be articles detailing the history of Blacks in some way. You can talk about The Transatlantic Slave Trade, Enslavement, Civil Rights, Police Brutality, Medical/Educational discrimination, Black Power Movement, Inventors, Black Biblical History, and much more.) Tell us about a little Known Black Historical Fact or introduce us to a little-known Black Historical person or place. (For example, I once published a post on Sundown Towns, all-white communities where Blacks were restricted from after Sundown).
A copy of this post is archived to its own page here.
Email articles to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope to hear from you!