First, my thoughts and prayers go out to all the Florida fam and anyone in the eye of the storm or who has been affected by Hurricane Ian in any way.
Today is the day!!
If you want a shot at winning one of the top four slots for this year’s poetry contest, be sure to email your poem to me at firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight tonight.
That’s 12a EST, 11p CST.
The rest of ya, figure out ya time zone, lol.
I know we can get a bit anxious as we wait for the results, so please take the time to review the following:
- Poetry submissions close at the end of the day on September 30, 2022. I don’t read any poems until after the contest ends, and neither do my fellow judges. Feedback on entries will not be provided until the winners are announced.
- We will announce the winners on November 1, 2022. I am an advocate for questions. Asking questions is how we learn. However, do not ask if I liked your poem or how I feel about it before the winners are announced on 11/1.
- Winners will be notified by email of their win at least one week before the public announcement to prepare them for their promotions. Our first-place winner also wins a personalized frame of their poem that must be customized, so the artist will need these details ahead of time.
- It is imperative that the email you have on file is active and that it is the one you check often. We will need to pick another winner if we cannot contact you about your win in time. Not only do you not want this, but it also creates more work for us, so please be diligent. Start paying attention close to the end of Oct. Check your spam and junk folders. If we follow each other on IG, check your DM’s. Know I will do everything in my power to contact you, but if I have to call the FBI you’re gonna miss out.
- If you submitted a poem, you should have received a reply saying your submission has been received. If you did not get this email, please resend it ASAP.
- We are giving away cash prizes this year, so when contacted about your win, we will ask you how you’d like to receive your money electronically. The other gifts will be shipped off to you.
- You will be promoted on my blog, main author newsletter, Twitter, and IG pages @yecheilyah and @yecheilyahbooksllc. Be sure you are following both (especially @yecheilyah, as it gets the most engagement).
What if I didn’t win?
We are only contacting the four winners. If, on November 1, you do not see your name among the winners, your poem has not been selected.
I want to take the time to thank each and every one of you for participating in this contest. Putting yourself out there is not easy, and I am humbled that you’ve trusted me with your creative work. Make no mistake about it: without your support, there is no contest, so I am grateful, humbled, and excitedddd to read what you’ve blessed us with.
How Can I Read the Poems of Previous Winners?
You can check out the poems and interviews of previous winners at the links below.
- Yecheilyah’s Annual Poetry Contest 2017
- Yecheilyah’s Annual Poetry Contest 2018
- Yecheilyah’s Annual Poetry Contest 2019
- Yecheilyah’s Annual Poetry Contest 2021
**2020 was skipped per Covid when none of us knew what to do next.**
*FINAL CHECK* The little things can sometimes get away from us so remember: get your poem in BEFORE the deadline. Make sure it is on the topic of FREEDOM in some way. Double check you’ve sent it to the CORRECT email and that you are 18+.