In eleven years of publishing, I understand that relationships sell books. By learning more about YOU the author readers will be interested in other things about you, such as your writing and your books. We cannot ignore it, we are most likely to buy books from people we know, like, and trust. It’s why we support people we are already familiar with. We know who they are, what they stand for and we trust them.
Introduce Yourself is a promotional opportunity for new authors I started in 2016. Hosted on my blog, it is an interview conducted by Yecheilyah (that’s me) with questions specifically tailored to helping us to get to know the authors better. “Introduce Yourself,” is a name inspired by a song introduced in a children’s bible study class I helped coordinate. The children had to sing the song and introduce themselves. In the same spirit, I mean these interviews to “break the ice,” between author and reader. I have hosted this segment for three years now and have featured fifty authors, new writers, and Best Sellers alike. I hope to introduce more authors for an opportunity for readers to learn more about them and their work. They say teamwork makes the dream work, and I hope to do my part to introduce to the world little-known authors and to help make their dreams come true.
Here are the authors interviewed so far. We have featured Best Sellers and new authors alike.
- Colin Guest
- Paige Adams
- Hope Destiny
- Patty Fletcher
- Brenda Scruggs
- Stevie Turner
- Jessica Bakers
- Jo Ann Maxwell
- Dan Alatorre
- Meredith Gibrahar
- Dolapo Akitoye
- Frank Parker
- Sojourner McConnell
- Shaun M Jooste
- Special Interview Feature + Promo with Lynette Davis
- Sarah Zama
- Felicia Denise
- L. Loren
- Marie Lavendar
- Emunah Y’srael
- KE Garland
- Sean Mungin
- Phyllis Babrove
- Balroop Singh
- V.M. Sang
- Jo Elizabeth Pinto
- Urvashi Trikha
- Tehilayah Ysrayl
- Larry Garner
- Frank Prem
- Wanda Luthman
- Sharon Cathcart
- A.H. Washington
- Ann Harrison-Barnes
- Abbie Taylor
- Camille Frazer
- David Davis
- Sophia Tsegaye
- Trish Hubschman
- Corey Collins
- Dana Kearney
- Sheila Williams
- Karina Bartow
- Katherine Joe
- William Ablan
- Laura DiNovis Berry
- K McCoy
- Michael Williams
- D.L. Taylor
- Victoriyah Smith
- Edgar Rider 8.3.2020
- Your Name Here!
Please Read Carefully:
When emailing me about your interview, please put Introduce Yourself Author Interview in the subject line. Do not send ambiguous emails where I have to figure out what you want. If you are emailing about the introduction interview series, please say so plainly. Whatever service you are inquiring about, say so plainly.
Do not just send me 50 answers to the questions (see them below). Address me by name, include your author bio, social media handles and your blog so I can follow you. Let me know you have at least attempted to read the instructions and be professional. Learn more about what to include in your email on this page and learn more about me by reading the About page of this blog HERE. You can also check out my author website HERE.
RRBC Member? Mention this in your email and I will use the RRBC hashtag when promoting your feature!*
*Your books must be listed in the RRBC catalogue for me to use the Hashtag under the RRBC Code of Conduct. I will check so don’t be slick. Make sure the title of the books you are promoting are in the catalogue and that you are in good standing with the club.
Please attach your questions in a Word document and attach images separately. Do not include images in the word document. Attach them separately.
NOTE: If you are visually/hearing impaired, please be sure you have a way to attach your book cover images as a separate attachment. I will not copy the cover from Word / PDF documents.
When answering the questions, please post the question first and then your answer. Example:
1. What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Yecheilyah and I am from Chicago, now living in Georgia.
I ask you to do it this way so I don‘t have to go back and figure out which question you are answering. This is a free service but if I have to do extra work, I will charge a fee.
Failure to follow these instructions will cause me declining to feature you. I ask is that you approach this opportunity with respect and professionalism. I accept nothing less.
How to Get Involved
- Choose at least 10 questions (please no more than 50) from the list below and email me your answers at yecheilyah(at)yecheilyahysrayl(dot)com) with your social media handles, photos, book covers, a brief bio, and a link to your website or blog. Please attach everything you would like me to promote along with the links. If you are hearing / visually impaired, please find a way to attach your images separately. I will not copy and save the image from a word document. Also, please be as thorough in your answers as you can and be yourself.
- Once I receive your email, I will respond in 3-5 business days. If I have any follow-up questions for you, I will ask you before setting a date for your feature. Please be patient. It takes time to schedule the post.
- Interviews are published on Mondays @ 12:00a EST.
- The features that do the best are those in which the authors help me promote them by reposting the interview to their blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or anywhere else on social media. If I tag you on Twitter, for example, retweet the post to your audience. If you blog on WordPress, reblog the post to your own blog. Help me to help you.
- The questions are below. They are not in any special order. Start with question 30 or question one. Your choice. The questions include a wide range of subjects so make it an interesting mix.
- What is your name and where are you from?
- What would your perfect writing / reading room look like?
- What is the most annoying habit that you have?
- Are you employed outside of writing? Is so, tell us about your job.
- What do you hate most about writing advice? What do you love?
- What job do you think you’d be really good at?
- How many siblings do you have?
- What was your childhood dream?
- What skill would you like to master?
- What skill do you think you’ve mastered?
- In your own words, what is humility?
- In your own words, what is love?
- What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
- If you had unlimited funds to build a house that you would live in for the rest of your life, what would the finished house be like?
- What’s your favorite drink?
- What state or country do you never want to go back to?
- What songs have you completely memorized?
- Does blogging help you to write? If not, why so? If so, how so?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your favorite color?
- Who is your favorite writer?
- If you could shadow your favorite artist, who would it be?
- What kind of music do you like?
- When did you publish your first book? What was that like?
- If you could live in a movie, which would it be? Why?
- Who is your best friend?
- Are you married? How long?
- Are you single? Would you like to be married?
- Do you have children?
- Would you like to have children? Why?
- What takes up too much of your time?
- What do you wish you knew more about?
- What small things makes your life easier? What makes it difficult?
- Who’s your favorite Historical figure?
- What do you think of the world we live in?
- What are your thoughts on Race?
- In your own words (not Google’s) define racism.
- What’s your favorite TV Show? Movie?
- What TV channel doesn’t exist but really should?
- What TV channel exists but really shouldn’t?
- Are you religious? Explain.
- Are you political? Explain.
- What is the most thought provoking book you’ve ever read?
- What’s the most difficult thing about being a writer? The most exciting thing?
- Why is writing important to you?
- What do you love about yourself?
- What don’t you like about yourself?
- If you had one superpower that could change the world, what would it be? Why?
- What genre do you write in, why?
- In your own words, what is truth?
- Outside of writing, what are some of your passions?
- What’s the funniest movie you’ve ever seen?
- Are you a spiritual person? (please explain how this is different from being a religious person)
- What do you think of police brutality in the black community? How can we do better?
- What do you think of the bullying in our schools? How can we do better?
- What do you think of the current political climate? What needs to change?
- If you could choose a city, state, or country to represent you, which would it be? Why?
- If you could, would you visit the past?
- If you could, would you visit the future?
- What advice would you give your younger self?
- Life is not always pretty. We all experience hardship every now and again. What is your best advice for reducing stress?
- What is the worst advice you’ve ever been given?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever been given? What made it special?
- What was your favorite subject in school? Your least favorite?
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?