We are so excited to meet all the amazing poets who will be entering this year’s contest! Prizes include a $50 Barnes and Noble gift-card, promotion, and publishing in our 2nd Edition, 2020 Poet Magazine. Below are some tips and best practices for bettering your chances of winning this contest! (For the video version of this post, go to my IG account and watch the EcTV version!)
- Read the rules (CLICK HERE FOR THIS YEAR’S GUIDELINES)
- Make sure your poem lines up with the theme surrounding one of these words: Strength, Courage, Wisdom, Faith (Read the rules).
- To qualify as entry you MUST subscribe to my email list. CLICK HERE to sign up. Then, go ahead and send your poem to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t rush to write your poem and forget to sign up for the email list. Last year’s winner got her poem in just before the deadline and won the entire competition so take your time and do it right. The best way to remember is to sign up for the email list first and then spend the rest of the time writing your poem. (Read the rules)
- Deadline for entry is August 1st. Winners announced November 1st. (Read the rules)
- Poems are judged based on ORIGINALITY, style, and how closely it relates to the theme. Poems cannot be previously published in a book or online and plagiarism is cause for immediate elimination.
- Pay Attention to the theme: If you submit a poem that is not about Strength, Courage, Wisdom, or Faith in some capacity you put yourself at risk for elimination. Why? Because poems that don’t follow the rules are one of the first to go. My team has to read through a lot of poems and you don’t wanna make it easier for them to disqualify you by not…following the rules.
For a full list of the rules, guidelines,
Yess people! It’s that time! Time to reveal the guidelines to this year’s contest and our amazing prizes! Read on…
Yecheilyah’s 2nd Annual Poetry Contest 2018
Theme: Self-Care, Self-Love – Our theme this year is on self-care and self-love!
Thursday, July 12th NOW– Tuesday, July 31st
*If your poem is ready, go ahead and submit it!*
Winners Announced: Wednesday, August 22, 2018
- The poems submitted must be original work. This means that the poems must be written by you. If we find a poem that resembles any previously published poem in any way that poet will be disqualified from the competition. Poems must be your own work.
- The poem must not be previously published in a book or anywhere online (including your blog)
- The contest will be judged based on writing, style and how closely the poem adheres to the theme.
- We are judges of the competition only. All poets are welcomed to enter regardless of race, religion, political views or location. All poems must be written in English and there will be no shipments outside of the U.S. In the event a poet wins this competition and their residence is outside of the U.S., any prize requiring shipping (if any) will be awarded in digital form. Ex. Ebooks instead of paperbacks.
- All poets must be at least 18 years of age to submit.
- There are no entry fees for this competition. Simply subscribe to Yecheilyah’s email list HERE and email your poem to enter. Anyone who subscribes only to unsubscribe before the competition is complete (any time before the winners are announced) will be disqualified for the win. Any subscription that has not been made before 11:59pm EST on July 31st will be disqualified.
- Authors of the winning poems grant Yecheilyah of The PBS Blog and Literary Korner Publishing the right to publish the poems on her blog located at www.thepbsblog.com as the winning poem. Permission is granted upon entry of the contest for publishing to The PBS Blog. The poets retain all rights and copyrights of their own work.
- Upon submission, poets grant Yecheilyah of The PBS Blog and Literary Korner Publishing the right to publish the poem in the Literary Korner Publishing’s debut online magazine. The poets retain all rights and copyrights of their own work.
- Multiple entries to this contest are allowed. If submitting multiple poems there is a 3 poem max.
- Entry is taken as acceptance of ALL of these guidelines.
- Click on THIS link and subscribe to Yecheilyah’s email list. This will automatically give us your name and email address. Be sure to confirm your subscription is due to this contest by checking ‘yes’ next to “Is this a poetry contest entry?” on the form. *If you are already subscribed to my list you are halfway there! Just email me your poem*
- Once you’ve subscribed to the list, please send your poem(s) to email@example.com.
- Both of the above steps are needed for a poem to be considered submitted.
- Submissions are accepted
July 12th NOW – through July 31st 2018.
- Winners are announced August 22, 2018 on The PBS Blog and across social media.
The grand prize winner of this contest will receive:
- One $50 Amazon Giftcard (this will be a hard-copy gift card mailed to the winner within the U.S. Winners outside the U.S. will receive an ecard.)
- Gift Card is nested inside a specialty gift box
- Gift Card has no fees and no expiration date
- Gift Card is redeemable towards millions of items storewide at Amazon.com
Why Hardcopy Giftcards:
For authors getting reviews, Amazon is strict about assuming manipulation when it comes to amazon e-cards, usually given away at contests. “If the author has ever given the reviewer a gift card, anywhere in the past, then all the reader’s reviews are considered “paid for” and deleted.” (Source: https://tracycooperposey.com/amazon-reviews-being-deleted/)
To help to protect any authors entering this contest, our gift-cards will be hard-copy and mailed, except in the case of winners outside of the United States.
- Signed paperback copy of I am Soul poetry book by Yecheilyah Ysrayl (Winners outside the U.S. will receive a digital copy of this book)
- 1 Writing Custom Designed Journal and matching pen to encourage your writing journey!
- Front page feature and publication to Literary Korner Publishing’s exclusive online magazine designed specifically for this contest, debuting this summer.
- Promotion on The PBS Blog and social media (over 700+views weekly)
We will be choosing some runner-ups!
All entrants have the opportunity to be featured in our first online magazine publication designed specifically for this contest so put forth your best! Only a select few will be chosen!
Don’t forget to support the contributors to this year’s contest.
Follow Tehilayah’s Blog HERE
Follow Lisa’s Blog HERE
Follow Kathy’s Blog HERE
Follow Tinzley’s Blog HERE
These rules will be re-posted again as we get closer to the contest so go ahead and write those poems! Hurry. Deadline is 7/31