As I prepare to return my manuscript to my editor for a final comb-through, I am also ready to assemble a street team of beta readers and advanced reviewers.
Having not written a history book before (that’s not fiction), I had no idea it would be this much work. However, I am eager to share everything I have learned with you.
If you are familiar with the Black History Fun Fact Friday series, this book is that series in book form, only much more polished and with more information.
Beyond that series, what inspired the book?
We are particularly familiar with the names of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, Langston Hughes, and Zora Neale Hurston. These outstanding leaders had a lasting impression on Black Americans’ history.
But two questions stick out:
- How much do we really know about them?
Did you know MLK was born Michael, not Martin??
- What are some names and histories of other leading Black people and events we are unfamiliar with?
Did you know a Black man, Lewis Howard Latimer helped Thomas Edison with the light bulb and Alexander Graham Bell with the telephone? These inventions could not exist in their present capacity without Lewis!
You can expect to read this kind of information in 200 pages of mind-blowing Black Historical Facts your history teacher left out.
I am looking for:
- Black / African American readers passionate about Black history
- Readers of any ethnicity who love Black history
- History buffs in general
- Readers willing to leave an Amazon review after reading the book
- Readers willing to post about the book on the social media platform of their choice. (I do not dictate how you do this. You can publish it to your feed or story. I am grateful either way.)
Note: While I appreciate editorial feedback, you do not have to be an editor to beta read. Before publication, this book is receiving professional editing and proofreading.
- You get a free ecopy of the book before it comes out.
- You get free shipping on the paperback when it comes out. (You will get a private access code to input for your free shipping when the time comes.)
- You get a special mention on my social media (@yecheilyah) in the form of a professional graphic I’ll use to promote early reviews.
What to Do Now
Copies will start to go out when the final version of the manuscript is ready. If you signed up, keep an eye on your email to stay posted.
You must inform me of your interest via email (email@example.com) to receive further information on how to help, including the ARC terms and an advanced book copy.